Monday, June 17, 2013

Papa

As you may or may not have noticed, I have been MIA for the past two weeks.
Here is the reason why. 


This is my Papa, Leo Carol Walther, and he passed away suddenly on Tuesday, June 4, 2013. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was washing my face and brushing my teeth getting ready to hop into bed on what I thought was an ordinary Tuesday night.  But when the phone rang at 11:30 pm, I instantly knew it wasn't.  

Though he wasn't sick, he didn't take the best care of himself with his eating habits, like many people.  He died of a massive heart attack.
It happened after he had gone to bed and it was quick, just as he wanted his death to be.



My Nana, his wife of 53 years, my mom and her two siblings, and all us grandkids are heartbroken, but we have security and peace in the memories we have with him and in his love for 
Jesus Christ, His Savior.  

(My mother rocking that white fur coat)

Here's a little more about my sweet Papa's life. 

He was a small town man who owned a liquor shop. 
 He loved talking with everyone and made friends very easily.  He loved his wife and kids and was a good provider.  Though he lived a moral life he was missing one thing, a purpose. 
His wife, Evelyn, was an active member at her church and his kids attended a Christian private school.  They prayed and begged for him to attend Sunday service with them but he conveniently scheduled himself to work on Sunday mornings. 

It wasn't until he turned 57 that my Papa decided to attend church on request of his son, Craig (my mom's older brother).  They went to Lancaster Baptist Church and he sat and listened to Paster Paul Chappell give a very convicting message.  That night he decided to give his life to Jesus Christ.

He was still a moral and loyal man but now he had a purpose.
He sold the liquor shop, moved to Lancaster, CA (1 mile down the road from the church), and began to faithfully serve there up until Tuesday, June 4, 2013. 

He woke up at 5:30 am every morning to serve breakfast to the college students of West Coast Baptist (affiliated to Lancaster Baptist Church), worked in the audio ministry selling and making tapes and DVDs of the sermons, drove the sports teams of the college across the country to their many games, and traveled the 80 miles to and from LAX to drop off and pick up people from the church. 

He volunteered around 40 hours a week, the time of a full time job, because he loved Jesus. 

Jesus changes people's lives drastically and makes life worth living.  
My Papa was a small town man who owned a liquor shop but because of Jesus he was able to touch thousands of peoples lives. 
The estimated 800+ people (not including the many who watched online) who attended his funeral are proof of that. 


Today my Papa walks with Jesus and is living out his life verse. 

Psalm 84:10
"For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand.
 I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness." 


I miss you so much, but I am so incredibly thankful and blessed to have had you as my Papa.
I'll be seeing you. 


3 comments:

  1. I remember your Grandpa plain as day. What a great guy! You can see his positive impact on the entire family.


    I know this is a hard time for your family, but my prayers are with you guys! He's in heaven waiting for the rest of you.

    Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. your photos are lovely. I am very sorry for your loss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. We miss him greatly.

      Delete